Winglets

General Discussion on RC Soaring
halfcutt

Winglets

Postby halfcutt » January 3rd, 2018, 9:45 pm

I'm guessing no one is monitoring this site in the dead of winter but here goes. I am building or I should say rebuilding and modifying a plane I built and destroyed in about 2000.It was a stick and tissue creation by Sterling models a scale Cirrus sail plane. I bought it as a tow line glider and as the plans suggested converted to radio control. My first attempt at RC. It didn't fly well, I didn't know how to fly. My beginners RC equipment was way too heavy ,standard servos and a 4 c cell battery,.
Long story. This thing has a bit of diheadral and I am wondering if adding winglets would be worth the effort in an attempt to stabilize things.I am worried about the performance of this scale wing.

Any thoughts.

Brian C

NevilleTur

Re: Winglets

Postby NevilleTur » April 13th, 2018, 5:29 am

That's a tough call Brian. My gutt feeling is that it's not worth the effort, but I could be wrong. Did you actually go through with this? If so, how did it work out?

tiju

Postby tiju » April 13th, 2018, 11:52 am

Don't bother with that Brian... a 87 inch scale plane will always being delicate to fly and if you got too munch weight then it become even worst.

You said "My first attempt at RC. It didn't fly well, I didn't know how to fly" that could be one of the cause... You will not gain a lot of lift on a 2m plane adding those wing tips.

And on top of that you will add weight at the worst location on the plane.... THE WING TIPS....

Does it have ailerons.. could not see it on all the pictures I tried to look at, if yes, where are the servos... how big are they... try to save weight on the tail... don't forget most of the time 1oz save in the tail = 2 or 3 oz saved in the nose...

halfcutt

Postby halfcutt » April 21st, 2018, 1:18 pm

Guys: Did not notice your replys. I did go ahead and on put winglets on this thing but due to this late spring I have not yet been to the field to try it out. I mentioned I was modifying the original and have added a full flying stab as well as a small electric motor. I also changed the wing mounting set up as that was a source of many repairs on the original, using aluminum tubes and carbon rods.
Thierry, I do agree my flying abilities were probably an issue. I did wire the wing for ailerons and put in servo boxes but but did not install anything or cut ailerons.I have put in time on this thing but not much money so we will see what happens. I don't have a lot of hope. If this weather clears the snow off I would like to sneak out to the field on a week day when no one is there to watch and give this a try. The maiden flight and the final flight might be the same.

Brian C

Return to “Pilots Talk”